ABSOLUTE TRUTHS OF MEDICINE
That Will Never Change
Copyright © 1996, by Michael S. Cole, M.D.
- Injuries (visible, microscopic, and biochemical)
will happen. All cannot be prevented.
- Infections (viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic)
will occur. All cannot be eradicated. All cannot be prevented.
- Genetic aberrations will cause diseases. All cannot
- New diseases will appear.
- People will die.
- There will always be questions for which answers cannot
- An accurate diagnosis will not be determined in every
- Every treatment will have potential adverse effects.
- A proven treatment will not work for every patient.
- The physician will not please everyone.
- People with inadequate medical knowledge or training will
interfere with appropriate treatment.
- Patients will honor a physician more for his/her caring
attitude and charming personality than for his/her knowledge.
- Medical "truths" not on this list will change as greater truths
We will always need physicians (numbers 1-5) and medical researchers
(6-9). We will always need to develop better interpersonal relationship skills
Link to Dr. Cole's